This is the UK blog of a 34 year old man from Sussex who was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis last year, charting his attempts to get on with life, keep working, stay married and avoid being eaten by his Border Collie puppy.

Saturday 22 December 2007

Saturday and back at work...

Well, sort of. I'm aiming to do a big chunk of dev work for the charity sites this afternoon; thus far the day has been taken up with puppy issues - walking, feeding, getting weighed at the vets, acquiring worming tablets and a supply of extra strong mints with which to trick the poor animal into swallowing a pill.

I honestly do believe that having a puppy to worry about and train and look after (or just be eaten by!) is helping to keep me relatively sane in the midst of the MS. It helps to have to concentrate on something very much outside yourself and your control (we're working on this one, though) to ensure you don't disappear into a morbid, solipsistic malaise ("Oh noes, I have MS, life sucks... WHY ME???").

The great thing is that I've got hold of some cannabis that does very little for most of my symptoms but which does appear to have restored a lot of mobility to my left leg. Presumably it would do that by dicking about with the area of my brain that has taken that damage. My foot isn't dragging so I don't need to carry my staff to remind me not to trip over things like the kerb or my other foot. I may never get this stuff again - illegal drugs never have the resillience or consistency of supply you'd get for conventional goods from a highstreet shop - but I'm pretty happy that I've got the use of my leg for my first Christmas in my new house and I'm able to walk the dog properly.

So its off to Tescos for me (manic Xmas food binge although I plan to sneak a few litres of spirits into the trolley - just don't tell my wife!) and then some web development work. Sounds grim? Hell, at least there's no X-Factor this week!

No comments: