This is the UK blog of a 34 year old man from Sussex who was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis last year, charting his attempts to get on with life, keep working, stay married and avoid being eaten by his Border Collie puppy.

Thursday 20 December 2007

Redefining your relationship with needles

I went for my lumbar puncture in the first week in August. I was getting married on the 11th. I'd only get the results when I can back from honeymoon as to detect MS through a lumbar puncture takes a month of sciency stuff. Look it up on the wikipedia you lazy lot! So I had it done and can only describe it as an excruciating experience but really not as painful as people make out; in fact when the needle is in the right bit of your spine, you don't feel a thing. But you really don't ever worry about needles again. Some months after this I ended up getting a load of work done at the dentist and took 8 injections with no problem at all... the dentist actually remarked on my ability to take the punishment and I could reply with no word of a lie "after a lumbar puncture, seriously, your little needles don't scare me at all!".

So we went off the weekend after next and got married on the Isle of Wight. I had, of course, tried to give my fiancé the opportunity to pull out in the light of my diagnosis; naturally enought she just gave me a slap and told me not to be so silly. I love that woman! We went on honeymoon to tuscany for 10 days, the longest holiday I'd had in 17 years, and had a wonderfully drunken time on the edge of the Chianti region.

No comments: