This is the UK blog of a 34 year old man from Sussex who was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis last year, charting his attempts to get on with life, keep working, stay married and avoid being eaten by his Border Collie puppy.

Monday 24 December 2007

The Ironies of Life

I spent 10 years enthusiastically smoking as much pot of as many varieties as I could lay my hands on. After a brief period of growing bored with it coupled with some understandable pressure from my Fiance who didn't really fancy a green vegetable for a husband, I quit in January this year. Now I've always known some people who dealt medical marijuana to people with AIDS or MS but I'd regarded them as an arch stalking horse for the legalisation movement (with which I had also been obliquely involved!).

When I got MS and discovered what certain different strains of weed could do for different MS symptoms (well, more fluctuations) or the ability of shit UK soap to take the edge off Beta Interferon's flu-ey side-effects (it must be the CBD or the diesel, its a tough call), my view naturally changed. I've long heard that different breeds of pot affect different MS sufferer's symptoms differently, something which dovetails with my Neurologist's view that what we today call MS will in 10 or 15 years be a collection of specific inter-related diseases. This whole thing coupled with the research into whether Pot can delay the progression of MS (something which, existentially, may justify inately the last 10 years of drug abuse!) made me get back on cannabis a little while ago.

Yes I have found that some strains of pot alleviate certain symptoms more than others, I've found that crap british hash seems to take the edge off my beta interferon side-effects and I've found that some grass does nothing beyond get me high, which isn't too bad per se but does become annoying when you're trying to pay the gas bill.

Which leads me to Sativex. I want to try it as I am bored of getting high on weed, but statistically (tho the drug co can't admit this at the moment) it probably won't work for me as its based on a strain of weed that will do nothing for me - an unfortunate collision between medicines requirement for identical doses and marijuana's odd relationship with MS - but I feel absolutely compelled to try it 'just in case'.

Mostly for the wife, mind, but damn it - through all this medical nonsense, I still feel that I *owe* her at least enough that I try to moderate the things that make her uncomfortable, like being stoned, where I can.

No comments: