This is the UK blog of a 34 year old man from Sussex who was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis last year, charting his attempts to get on with life, keep working, stay married and avoid being eaten by his Border Collie puppy.

Saturday 12 January 2008

Superstition

So far my vision has stabilised; by which I mean it has got no worse and it has got no better (well, maybe a little - just enough to be adequately within the bounds of wishful thinking, anyway). I don't know if that's because this is merely a bad fluctuation or if its becaue the beta interferon is working to make the effects of the MS milder (and I did take an injection yesterday...) or if its because I'm throwing sufficient quantities of cannabis at it to stymie the effects.

And that's the problem. Maybe one of these things is working, maybe none of them are and this is merely a mild episode but because I cant know for sure, I have to keep doing all of them to ensure I get the beneficial effects again. I mean, what if I didn't do them and then suffered a serious attack? Why take the risk?

The rational bit of my brain kicks off at this point, skeptical of my mind's ability to construct a sketchy superstition out of inadequate evidence. People do tend to look for traditional causal relationships where none may exist. What if the pot and the rest is just a manifestation of that?

The horror is that I can't know but will probably get to find out with experience.

No comments: